This is a super popular side dish that is usually served with chicken, beef or lamb based dishes in Egypt. It’s dead simple and I was asked many times how to make it. so, here you go !
1 Cup of rice … well .. I use Jasmine rice as it feels close to the Egyptian rice (obviously I can’t get Egyptian rice from Edeka 😀 ).
1 teaspoon of Butter/ Margarine/ Olive Oil (personally I use Olive Oil).
1 tablespoon of Vermicelli pasta (Fadennudeln auf Deutsch).
1 teaspoon of salt.
- A saucepan.
- A deep bowl.
- Soak the rice in water. wait for five seconds until the water becomes white. Throw the water away.
2. Keep soaking the rice into water and throwing the water away until the water doesn’t become white when the rice is soaked into.
3. Leave it for 30 minutes.
4. Heat some oil in the saucepan on a medium to high heat, then add the Vermicelli.
5. Keep stirring until the Vermicelli becomes gold-brown.
6. Add the rice
7. Add water until fully covered, add the salt.
9. Turn the heat up and leave until the water is vaporized enough so the rice is not covered anymore with water.
10. Turn the heat down to the lowest possible temperature and cover it with the lid.
11. Leave it for 15 minutes.
12. Profit !
And the final product …